June 22, 2009

Chiefs Head – A Rocky Mountain Classic

Some of the easier and more popular fourteeners see hundreds of hikers on summer weekends (check out this handy peak usage guide on 14ers.com to find out which peaks are most crowded). In fact, foot traffic on the peaks has gotten so heavy that a dedicated initiative was formed in 1994 to protect and preserve Colorado’s fourteeners.


If you’re looking for solitude, you may want to try one of Colorado’s lower-elevation peaks.


Rocky Mountain National Park (another place often associated with crowds) has dozens of peaks that see very few hikers. This past weekend, I climbed Chiefs Head, the third-highest peak in RMNP. My partner and I didn’t see a soul for the first 8 hours of the hike and had the summit all to ourselves. 


(Side note: If you followed the Chiefs Head link above, you discovered Summitpost.org, a valuable resource for route information on just about any peak in the world.)


Part of the reason for the lack of crowds on Chiefs Head is its remoteness – the route we took from Sandbeach Lake is 16.4 miles and over 5,500 feet of elevation gain, more than half of it off-trail.


Realizing that afternoon thunderstorms must be avoided (especially during National Lightning Safety Awareness Week), we hit the trail at 4:00 a.m.


Sunrise at Sandbeach Lake was peaceful and a bit surreal:


We made the summit at about 10:00 a.m. The sun never did make an appearance…



The moral of the story is, don’t limit yourself to just the fourteeners! There are hundreds of peaks in this state that offer the same majestic views and physical challenge, without the crowds.


A great place to research what’s out there is Lists of John (click on Colorado Peaks by Elevation). You can view members’ lists of summits and add your own profile and peak list. The site is a great way to keep tabs on who’s climbing what in Colorado and track your own accomplishments. 


And if you're interested in hiking in Rocky Mountain NP, pick up a copy of Lisa Foster's Complete Hiking Guide. In the book's preface, Foster explains how she set out in the summer of 2004 to "finish hiking every named destination in RMNP." The results of her quest are documented in the book, which covers 440 destinations and 668 trails and routes.


-Sarah

6 comments:

Saralee said...

I admire your skills and applaud your tenacity. I was at 12,500ft this weekend - Independance Pass - west of Twin Lakes, east of Aspen. We drove our car and even that was an effort! The air was thin but the view was worth it.

Jennifer Miller said...

Good point about how crowded the fourteeners can get during the Summer. You are so right about that! And 5,500 foot elevation gain is still pretty high up there.

When I lived in Summit County I tried to go hiking every weekend. I took "The Summit Hiker," with me. That book is all marked up and full of notes ... things I liked and didn't like about each hike. One hike had a great spot to lay out and get a tan ... a bunch of huge, flat boulders lined the river bank. That's something you don't find very often in Summit County.

I never did hike a fourteener ... just couldn't get up that early or hike that long.

Some of my favorite hikes are the more peaceful ones ... where I am alone, but feel safe and where I can see wide expanses and meet a few friendly souls along the way.

I also like seeing wildlife (from a safe distance). Please let me know what kind of critters you are seeing along the trail.

Sarah said...

Hi Jennifer,
I hadn't heard of the "Summit Hiker" book before, but it sounds like a great trail guide. I definitely like the idea of taking notes during and immediately after a hike.

If love peaceful hikes too, which is why the peaks in Rocky Mt. are a sort of side-project for me. I'm also (fortunately) almost done with the more popular/crowded fourteeners.

As for wildlife, I always see lots of marmots, ran into a large group of bighorn sheep last weekend, and often encounter those beautiful white mountain goats.

Thanks for the comments!
Sarah

Sarah said...

Saralee - Independence Pass is a beautiful area! I love Aspen and have a few peaks planned there next month (three of the ones that scare me, Pyramid, Capital and Maroon).

Sarah

yanmaneee said...

balenciaga shoes
air jordan
supreme outlet
off white
adidas stan smith women
nike air max
mbt shoes
nike kyrie 6
nike air max
nike air force 1 high

Anonymous said...

hermes outlet
bape
curry 6 shoes
hermes sale online
ggdb