June 16, 2009

Where to Begin?

When I moved to Colorado, I had climbed a grand total of 11 mountains. My peak list now stands at 113, including 35 over 14K. If you want to summit a fourteener, you don't need a special training regimen, fancy equipment or even rock climbing skills. All you need is a healthy respect for the mountains and the willingness to push your limits.

I'm still a beginner myself, but my blog offers helpful advice, resources and information for those who are just getting started on their fourteener quests or are planning their very first summit attempt.

If you've already searched for answers on the Web, you know there is a staggering amount of information out there. That's because so many questions arise when you're contemplating your first foray to 14,000 feet.... questions like:


What should I eat?

What should I wear?

Which peak should I do first?

How should I train?

Where can I camp?

Will I get altitude sickness?

Do the marmots bite?


I'll do my best to answer all of these questions by relaying my own experiences and providing links to the best info on the Web.


For starters, you may have already discovered 14ers.com. If you haven't, I recommend checking it out. The discussion forum is always active and is almost like an online community. You can find a lot of excellent advice from very experienced people, and it's also a great place to find partners. Plus there are lots of helpful resources, including route descriptions with photos, gear lists and trailhead information.


A copy of Gerry Roach's guidebook is also a must-have... it's the Fourteener Bible. Roach's route descriptions are concise and easy to follow and his commentary is fun to read.


Happy Climbing!


Sarah



0 comments: