June 29, 2009

Fourteener Fuel - What to Eat on Summit Day

Hiking a fourteener burns a lot of calories.

The actual number of calories you burn will vary depending on which peak you’re climbing, how much you weigh and a lot of other factors. But it’s safe to say you’ll need to eat a lot more than you would on a flat trail at sea level.

According to this article on Backcountry.com, “hikers, climbers and others traveling with packs over difficult terrain will need at least 500-1,000 more calories than they normally would.”

If you like to eat, you’re in luck.

Nutrition is important, and getting the right balance of carbs, fats and protein will certainly lead to better performance on the mountain. But in my experience, the key is to eat foods you like and that will still be appealing when altitude zaps your appetite.

Here’s a quick list of my favorites:

  • M&Ms
  • Nuts
  • Peanut-butter & jelly sandwiches
  • Fig Newtons
  • Crackers
  • Larabars (All-natural energy bars that actually taste good, made right here in Colorado. Read more about the company’s founder on their website.)
The above items pack a lot of calories with minimal weight. They also hold up well in a pack (except for the PB&J, which requires a little special handling).

You’ll want to customize the list according to your own tastes. Anything goes - I've seen people eating avocados and cold Big Macs on summits. Just avoid anything that might melt and bring more than you think you’ll eat.

Also take special note of Principle #3 in the Backcountry.com article, which explains why you need to snack often. Aim for a couple hundred calories every two hours or so.

As for what to eat after the climb, may I suggest:

2 comments:

bfritzie said...

Sarah-excellent point about bringing food you will find appetizing. For my first fourteener, I brought along some of those energy bar things thinking they would help once I was up there. They were so gross I could barely event choke one down even though I desperately needed the fuel. I would have been better off with something less "healthy" and more appealing to me.

Sarah said...

bfritzie - I'm with you on the energy bars! Some varieties aren't bad (try the Lara bars I mentioned in my post) but real food tastes better any day!

Sarah